Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Random Thoughts

We'll start with the positive... So, a friend of mine blogged about the newest member of the mini wheats family. She was pretty impressed by them and hey, I was thinking about trying them anyway. So, I bought them on my little shopping spree at Target. I tried them for breakfast this morning and they were very tasty! I too highly recommend them!



Next, Swiss Days in Midway. I love Swiss Days! We had our cabin this weekend, so I went up on Friday night and my mom and I laid out our plans for the next day. We were up, breakfasted, dressed and ready to go by 8:30 AM. We had a blast. We spent a moderate amount of money- I am very proud of us because we didn't go overboard- and lunched there. I bought this cool bracelet/watch and a pair of earrings to match. It was a lot of fun.

Now for the not so positive...


As I mentioned before, I went shopping at Target. Actually, it was a part of a little spree to get a present for my niece's birthday and take advantage of some great deals at Bath and Body Works. But, I digress. I wanted to vent a little about the utter laziness of people when it comes to returning a shopping cart! I hate that you think you are going to pull in to a close spot only to find that someone has left a cart there because they were just too lazy to return the cart! Plus, all of those yahoos who leave them wherever they parked and then half the parking lot is covered with them! Because now, the carts have somehow multiplied in one certain area. (Are they having a meeting?) Do they just gravitate to each other? I can't imagine that someone would find it too difficult to take the cart an extra two feet to the actual cart return and instead decide to just leave it with a group of them because they were already there anyway... The whole idea of "just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right" comes to mind. Would someone please explain to me why it is so difficult to walk the cart back to the proper cart return? I'm just curious. Maybe I'm the only one who gets a little bothered by this? Your thoughts?

3 comments:

SilverRain said...

Well, I've been in retail elsewhere and in Utah. I can say that although leaving the carts out in the parking lot is common most places due to sheer human laziness, Utah has a far more annoying shopping cart vice. For some reason, Utahns think that if they take the cart all the way back to the store, they are doing a good thing even if they leave it in the doorway.

Not only are they not sheerly lazy, they leave the carts right where everyone needs to pass to get into the store. I have yet to figure out why this phenomenon occurs. Is it laziness entwined with needing to feel like a do-gooder? Is it the dry desert air sapping our strength right before we accomplish a good deed? Or, is it outright malice, trying to make others' lives as annoyance-ridden as possible?

THAT would be an interesting study in human behavior.

Heather Armstrong said...

Recently I walked into Dan's and a little elderly woman in the parking lot had the audacity to just hand me her cart so I would take it in with me. It wasn't like I was wearing black pants and a white shirt--in other words, I was not dressed like an employee. She just didn't want to take it in herself. I guess you could say she was only slightly less lazy than the people who don't make an attempt to take it in at all.

Super Random Girl said...

I totally agree with you guys-- it's pure laziness. It's especially bad when it's a parent or other adult who has a child or children with him/her; by showing the child a less than stellar concern for a shared sense of community, that adult is unwittingly teaching the young one that it is okay to do the same thing because someone else will pick up what's left behind. It still amazes me that in such a great state as Utah, a state that prides itself on service to the community and our fellow citizens, that something as simple as properly returning a shopping cart would be so difficult. Btw, silverrain, I loved your post-- the last part of it made me laugh!