Monday, August 17, 2009

Golf

My company has an annual golf tournament at Thanksgiving Point. Teams are always in fours, they must all work for the company and can either be all ladies, all men or mixed- two men, two women. Our tournament was this past weekend.

I was asked by three gals at work to be on their team. I did warn them that I was not a golfer. (In fact this would be my first game ever.) They didn't mind and so we formed our team.

It's always played as a scramble and this time there was a double bogey rule as well. (This was to help get all the teams through the course in a somewhat timely fashion.)

I got up at 5:00 AM to be at my friend Marci's at 6:00 so we could carpool. We checked in and gathered our swag. It was pretty awesome! Here are most of the items we received (towel and ball marker/divet tool not shown. Just cause they were all the way out in the garage with my golf bag.)


After breakfast we started milling around. There was a lovely storm coming in and the wind was cold and strong. So, the thought was to hold the door prize raffle and see if the storm would clear out. There were 160+ people there, so it took about an hour to go through everyone's names. See, everyone gets a prize. I won a Fossil purse and a $50.00 Gastronomy gift card....


After the drawing took place and we ran our prizes out to our cars, they let us loose on to the course. Our group started on hole #8. Now, remember, I don't play golf. Oh- and we had to use 4 drives from everyone on the team. So, at least 4 times we had to play from my ball.

The storm that was supposed to have blown over was just beginning. It poured and the wind was lashing. Then came the hail. We got through hole 9 and since that was right by the clubhouse, we ran in. Eventually most of the teams came in as well. After a half an hour, the rain hadn't stopped and people started leaving. Thanksgiving Point offered rain checks and people took them. Our team decided to brave it. Our patience paid off.

The rain finally stopped. It was still pretty cool, but we had our hot chocolate in hand and we were somewhat dry. So, out we went.

Here are my teammates- braving the cold!

Paula and me...

Marci and Deanna...


We played another five holes and then the attendants came around and called us in for lunch. At lunch we realized how many people had gone home. In a way, it was nice because there wasn't anyone waiting for you to play your hole. As this was my first game, that was nice. I never felt rushed.

After lunch- low and behold, the sun came out! And we played the rest of the game in the sunshine!


We had the course until sundown, so you could go out and re-round or whatever. As there weren't many people out and about, we went back through the course and played a few of our favorite holes. (After we turned in our score card.) There were 6 ladies teams that had stayed and braved the weather- our team came in third! So, today, I got a gift certificate for $125.00 to the Thanksgiving Point pro shop. Not sure what I'll buy... but I have 1 year to decide!

All and all in was a fun day and the cool thing is, I have an invite to play with the same team next year. I have no idea if I will take up the sport. It was a lot of fun though. Oh, and to top it all off, I got a bit of a sunburn on my arms and face. Not bad for a first golf game!

This was just a funny photo- Paula, who was driving the cart- kinda parked on the curb... The front tire wasn't even on the ground below!

No comments: