Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Canterbury (Tales, Cathedral and town)

"When April with its sweet showers has pierced the drought of March to the root and bathed every rootlet in the liquid by which the flower is engendered; when the west wind also, with its sweet breath, has brought forth young shoots in every grove and field; when the early sun of spring has run half his course in the sign of Aries, and when small birds make melody, birds that sleep all night with eyes open, (as Nature inspires them to) --THEN people have a strong desire to go on pilgrimages, and pilgrims long to go to foreign shores to distant shrines known in various countries." -The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (put into modern spelling by Michael Murphy).

Ok, So, I went on my trip in May. But still, it was applicable! Here are some lovely pictures of Canterbury and the cathedral there.




Some pretty pictures from inside...
Outside at the cloisters. (Yeah, I know you're surprised!) Sorry that the photo is dark. Trust me, that's me in my fantastic mango colored trench coat!
Outside on the grounds- I believe that they grew/grow herbs here.
Outside the cathedral in the town center. There were lots of people milling around. People come and play instruments (for money) here. This day there was a young man playing the sax. Here's a cute picture of Zonia and me. The weather was beautiful and it was so surprising that it would be just chilly enough to warrant a jacket every so often. (Unless you're posing in the hot sun!)More of the old and the new mixed in. Again, it's just hard to believe that these places have been around for thousands of years!

Very beautiful!! Here we also bought some tasty local candies from a cute little shop. I was too absorbed in making my selections, that I didn't take any photos- dumb, I know!

No comments: