Monday, July 14, 2008

Tin foil dinners


I recently went with the Young Women up Millcreek Canyon to cook tin foil dinners. This is a requirement for them for rough out camp. This took me back to the days when we did this right before girls camp. Except in those days, tin foil dinners consisted of four things... Hamburger, carrots, potatoes and of course the evil- yet very necessary- onion. (And a little salt and pepper to taste.) We'd wrap our lovely concoction in tin foil, write our name on it with a marker and toss them in the coals. Then, we'd pull them out, partially covered in ash to delve in to a meal that really one would never eat anywhere but camping. It was GREAT!

Nowadays, pallets and tin foil dinners are a little more refined. This group of girls had everything from salmon to chicken! (Ok, I admit that I was one who also brought up some chicken.) I had a tomato basil marinade packet that needed using up. So I dumped some oil, balsamic vinegar, the rest of the marinade and the chicken into a bag and let it sit while I cut up a potato, threw in some carrots and the evil, yet necessary, onion in to the tin foil. What can I say, when it came to the veggies, I was a bit of a traditionalist. As we were pulling dinners out of the fire that night, I was amazed at some of the things people had put into their dinners. Asparagus, mushrooms, sausage, the aforementioned salmon and chicken- these were gourmet dinners! (No offense, but I highly doubt the scouts would have come up with some of these ideas!!)

The girls head off to camp tomorrow. I will be heading up (along with the other leaders that have these lovely interferences called jobs) on Thursday to spend the afternoon and evening with the girls. We then will head down to our own beds and showers after the testimony meeting. Should be a fun night and I am excited to go.

This has brought back some AWESOME memories of my camp days.

1 comment:

"The Queen in Residence" said...

When I was growing up we had a fire pit in our backyard and we did tinfoil dinners all the time. I love them and the yucky onion to this day.
What fun!!!