Sunday, July 6, 2008

Buy Fresh! Buy Local!

This past Saturday, Kirsi and I went to the Farmer's Market at Pioneer Park in downtown SLC. I had never been to the market itself and had heard some fun things about it. I had visited a few farmer's markets in New Jersey, so I sort of knew what to expect. I mainly wanted to browse, however I had a few things in mind that I was on the look out for. One of them was honey.

Growing up in Utah, we are mostly exposed to clover honey. I had just recently heard that there are many different tasting honey types- this is due to what flowers the bees visit. So, I was on a hunt for something other than clover honey. My first honey stop was at a booth where they had both honey and honey butter. The honey was made from "wild flowers" and had a pretty distinct taste. I purchased the honey butter after tasting both and deciding that the honey butter had more of a vanilla background. Then, I tried honey at another booth- also from wild flowers- and quite liked it. The taste was different from the one I had first sampled. I bought a little jar. Finally, I found the booth that Kirsi had mentioned had different kinds to purchase. They had these little plastic straws, sealed at the ends of samples that you could purchase. 5 for $1.00. I got orange blossom, watermelon, raspberry, sour cherry and something else. They're aren't marked, so I am not sure how I will tell which is which. Who knew honey could be so- involved?


Another purchase was cherries! They were from Willard and quite the fun little treat. I've been eating a handful at least once a day since I brought them home. Needless to say, they are practically gone. I also purchased some lettuce and a variety of items (basil pesto, fresh pasta and balsamic vinegar) from Tony Cuputo's booth. YUM!

I really enjoyed the farmers market. The best was the sampling of a lot of the foods that are for sale. They also had some great food vendors present to entice one's pallet. I plan to return in a couple of weeks- they said that the Utah corn and Utah peaches should be in by the last weekend in July/first part of August.

If you are interested in the Farmer's Market, it's every Saturday from 8:00 AM to 1:00 PM from now until mid-October. There are also craft booths and such to wander through.
Have fun! Buy Fresh! Buy Local!

2 comments:

Pinky Lovejoy-Coogan said...

The next time you go, you should stop by my friend's booth that makes the cool necklaces (Liquid Stone). The necklaces are even better than the honey! :)

SilverRain said...

I ate all the cherries myself, I must admit. I didn't even share with my daughter. I am now dwelling in the realms of delicious guilt.